If you are looking to update KALI Linux you came to the right place.
Are you stranded on how you can update your Kali Linux 2019.4 to Kali Linux 2020.1? Well, it’s quite easy to upgrade to the latest released version. The latest operating systems will always come with new attractive features and have previous bugs fixed.
Be it Mac, Windows, or even Linux, new versions are always more secure, provides better performance and amazing results. These are some of the reasons why updating an operating system is recommended.
Incredible Features to Expect in Kali Linux 2020.1 Release
What are some of the best features or tools that push you to have your Kali Linux updated to the latest version? Well, here are some of the hot features you should be expecting:
- A change from GNOME to Xfce. The default DE is currently Xfce. You are also free to choose either KDE or Gnome and several others during installation.
- Theme Adjustments. You should also expect new themes for GNOME. Light and dark.
- Non-Root by default. You can alter a standard user account during installation to log in to live image boot by using Kali/Kali credentials.
- Kali-Undercover. Kali undercover is now more similar to Windows to ease things.
- Kali single installer image. This is now a combined and simplified offline installation. It comprises of all default package selections. You will find XFCE, KDE GNOME, and many others.
- Python 2 terminated. Tools relying on python two are removed.
- New Tools. They include Splinter, Sherlock, email harvester, phpggc, and cloud-enum.
How to Update Kali Linux Using a combination of two commands
Updating your Kali Linux is one of the most manageable tasks to undertake. The commands that we’ll use to update Kali Linux are apt update and apt upgrade.
Solution: The most recommended the easiest solution
We are only going to use one solution that will be very easy to understand and help you update your Kali Linux immediately. We will then discuss this solution into detail so that you know every part of it.
Here are the only steps you need to follow:
- Start your Kali Linux and Open the terminal.
- Type this single command:
apt update && apt upgrade -y
All You Need To Know About Kali Linux Update Single Line Command
Kali Linux and Ubuntu are Debian based. This means that the two are more similar. Both Kali Linux and Ubuntu use Debian’s package management system ‘apt.’
You can only use the apt command whenever you want to install, uninstall, or update packages such as your system software. This certifies apt command to be named a package manager.
Back to our case, we combined two commands using the ‘&&’ option and ‘update’ and ‘upgrade.’ Using these options will leave many confused thus, there is a need to explain it into detail. Here are what you need to know:
This command will only refresh all the repositories available in your system. The check will be mainly to target any available new package from Kali Linux servers. It would be best if you kept in mind that this command neither installs nor updates any available package but only finds the information about the packages.
This is the command that will update your system. Immediately you will run this command in your computer, and your system will begin downloading package updates. Upon completion, it will then upgrade them to their latest versions.
apt update && apt upgrade –y
Using the ‘&&’ will save you the time from typing the commands after another. The commands will run automatically when the first command completes.
Are you mind-boggling on why the ‘-y’ option was used? Using the ‘-y’ option also saves you the time of hitting the Enter button after typing the commands. ‘-y’ stands for yes hence no need of pressing the enter key.
What are you waiting for? Open your terminal and type the mentioned single line command, and you are good to go! The new features are worth the update. Update your Kali Linux today! Good luck!