The error message ERR_ADDRESS_UNREACHABLE is an indication that something has gone wrong with your server or device. This error could be a result of some incorrect internet settings on your device. It denies you access to certain websites on your computer, and I know this can be frustrating.
However, you can fix this error almost as quickly as it comes. In this guide, we will take a look at what this error is, what causes it, and five possible solutions for it.
This error message appears while you are browsing the internet. It usually points to incorrect proxy settings, router issues, or server issues. Once a page with the error appears, you will have the option to reload the page. The error message reads: “This site can’t be reached. http://website.com is unreachable. Try running network diagnostics. ERR_ADDRESS_UNREACHABLE”
Once you see this message on your screen, you should opt for a solution immediately. But before we look at the solutions for this error, here are some of the causes:
What causes the error “ERR_ADDRESS_UNREACHABLE” in Google Chrome?
You are likely to encounter this error message “ERR_ADDRESS_UNREACHABLE” when there is something wrong with your network connection. This network connection issue may be due to the following reasons:
Router issues: You may encounter this error due to your router being in an error state. This state causes problems in delivering requests to the designated ports.
Wrong website access environment: You will receive the error message if you try to access a public network’s private address.
Proxy settings: You are likely to get this error message while using a proxy connection to access websites. You will notice that your network connection will not be handling your requests well. In this situation, you need to disable or enable the proxy server.
Sever issues: You may also encounter this error because of server issues. If you own a website and your users cannot access the website, ensure that you are correctly handling the requests that are done at the proper ports.
How to Fix the Error “ERR_ADDRESS_UNREACHABLE”
To fix this error, you need to make sure that you are connected to the proper internet network. If you are trying to access a private address, you need to be in that particular network.
Solution 1 – Restarting your Router
Most of the time, restarting the router fixes the “ERR_ADDRESS_UNREACHABLE” error messages instantly. There are many cases where the router goes into an error state. This occurrence is quite common among network devices. You can fix this error message by merely restarting the router. Just follow these steps:
- Step 1: Unplug the router or modem from the power source. Do not just turn it off.
Step 2: Wait for about 15 to 20 seconds before plugging it back into the power source.
Step 3: Wait for the device to turn back on.
If you cannot fix the issue and the error message is still showing up, you can check out other solutions. Another solution that could work for you is resetting your router. To do this, you need to know the details that your ISP uses in your router to make it work. Therefore, it is advisable to call them before to ask for further information resetting the router.
- Step 1: Find the small hole at the back of your router with the reset tag.
- Step 2: Using a small pin, press the hole continuously for about 4 to 5 seconds. This activity will reset your router.
- Step 3: Now, you can smoothly connect to the router with an Ethernet wire and then go to the router address. You will most likely find this address printed on the back.
- Step 4: Once you are done, enter the details your ISP provides to access the internet.
- Step 5: Now, you can check if you resolved the error message.
Solution 2 – Disable or Enable Proxy
This is another way you can tackle this error if you are using Windows. You may have problems with your proxy settings that are causing the ERR_ADDRESS_UNREACHABLE message. In this scenario, fixing this error will require that you check your proxy settings. Kindly follow the guide below to do this.
- Step 1: The first thing to do is go to Settings in Windows by pressing the Windows key and then selecting the Settings
- Step 2: Now, search for Internet Options and click on the result that comes forth.
- Step 3: Inside the Internet Properties window, access the Connections tab and click on LAN settings. Make sure that you uncheck the setting that says Use a proxy server for your LAN.
- Step 4: Now, click on OK. Click on Apply and restart your computer.
- Step 5: Restart the Chrome browser and see if you have fixed your problem.
Ensuring that your proxy settings are in order should be enough to fix the error, but you need to move down to the next potential fix below if you are still encountering it.
Solution 3 – Check Address
This is another correct way to clear the ERR_ADDRESS_UNREACHABLE message. You may experience this error message when trying to access a private address while connected to a public network. For instance, a site address like ‘192.168.1.8’ corresponds to a private address and is only accessible in private networks.
Ensure that the address you want to access is not bound due to networks. If the network is secured, try connecting to the proper network and then reaccessing it.
Checking the address you are trying to access should be enough to fix the error, but if you are still encountering it, feel free to contact your ISP. If every solution fails, you need to move down to the next potential fix below.
Solution 4 – Clear Google Chrome DNS Cache
I have found out that the ERR_ADDRESS_UNREACHABLE message by clearing Chrome’s DNS cache. This solution does not take time, and it is easy to perform. You can try it out by following the steps in the below-given guide.
- Step 1: Launch the Google Chrome browser.
- Step 2: Type the following address; Chrome://net-internals/#dns in the address bar and press the Enter button on your keyboard.
- Step 3: Click on the Clear host cache button.
- Step 4: When you finish clearing the cache on Chrome, open the website again, and then check if you have fixed it.
Clearing Google Chrome DNS Cache should be enough to fix the error, but you need to move down to the next potential fix below if you are still encountering it.
Solution 5 – Reset TCP or IP
If you tried the solutions above and failed to fix the error, you can try resetting TCP/IP with the Command Prompt. I have found out that many people, ERR_ADDRESS_UNREACHABLE messages, have been able to fix this error using this solution. You can quickly reset TCP/IP by following the instructions in the below-given guide.
- Step 1: Press the Windows logo key + R simultaneously to open up a Run dialog box.
Step 2: Now, type cmd in the dialog box and press the Shift + Ctrl + Enter keys to run Command Prompt as administrator. When you are using the Command Prompt, any improper operations may cause harm to your PC. You may even lose some crucial data. So, it is advisable to be careful while using the command prompt.
- Step 3: Type in the following commands, one by one, and press the Enter button after each.
netsh int ip set dns
netsh Winsock reset
- Step 4: Once you finish entering the commands, exit the Command Prompt, and restart your PC.
- Step 5: Once your computer restarts, launch Google Chrome and check if you have fixed it.
In addition to the solutions above, you can also try the following tips below:
You can try to access the site with another browser. If you can access the website with another browser, it means that something is wrong with your browser. You should reset the browser or reinstall it.
You can try to access the website using another network with a different ISP. Also, try to access the website in the incognito tab. This will help you know whether your browser add-ons are the culprits for the error. You can also try accessing the website using another device on the same network. Then, connect to another network and try accessing the site. This will help you know whether the error is from either your device or your network.
How Do I Reach an Unreachable Website?
- Step 1: Restart DNS client and click on the Windows “Start” button and hit “Run.”
- Enter “cmd” into the text window and press the “Enter” button. This operation starts your Windows command prompt.
- Step 2: Type net stop dnscache to stop the service. Wait for the DNS service to stop.
- Step 3: Type net start dnscache to the command prompt and “Enter.” This operation restarts the DNS service on the machine.
net-start DNS client
- Step 4: To reset the DNS cache and remove all entries from it, run the following command: ipconfig /flushdns.
- If everything went well, the result should be “Successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache.”
Why are Some Sites Unreachable?
This can occur when Googlebot encounters a time-out or other network-related issue when requesting a file from your site, and thereby is forced to stop the request. This can be a result of one or more of the following:
- Too many page load times due to dynamic pages taking too long to respond
- Too many page load times due to a site’s hosting server being down, overloaded, or misconfigured.
- The hosting server is blocking Google’s web crawler.
- A DNS configuration issue
You can fix this problem by resetting your Wi-Fi Modem. And if you have a separate router, you should reset it as well. To do this, you’ll need to follow the steps below.
Wi-Fi reset ERR_ADDRESS_UNREACHABLE
- Step 1: Unplug the power cord from the Wi-Fi router.
- Step 2: Press and hold the reset button for 10 to 15 seconds.
- Step 3: Release the reset button after the lights on the modem start flickering.
- Step 4: Wait for 3 to 5 minutes for the Internet light to turn green.
- Step 5: Try connecting to the internet.
- Step 6: You may be asked for account-related information to reset your modem.
If you can access the internet, connect to ExpressVPN, and move to this guide’s next step. If you cannot access the internet, the issue has to do with your internet connection. And you will need to reboot your device and check your network settings to fix this. QUIC is the protocol named Quick UDP Internet Connection, which is designed to provide security protection equal to TLS\SSL with reduced connection and transport latency.
Sometimes disabling of this security protocol may also allow you to open your required webpage without any error. You can also try resetting TCP/IP because it can also cause issues and communication errors with webpages over internet.
When you encounter this issue on your android device, you may be able to fix it by turning on and off the airplane mode. When you do this, you will restart your device’s mobile-data and Wi-Fi components, resolving the issue.
- Step 1: Try a restart.
- Step 2: Do a backup, with either Time Machine or a cloning program, to make sure files/data can be recovered. Two backups are better than one.
- Step 3: Set up another admin user account to see if the same issue continues. If Back-to-My Mac is selected in System Preferences, the Guest account will not work. The intent is to check if it is specific to one account or a system-wide issue. You can delete this account later.
ERR_ADDRESS_UNREACHABLE may show up on your screen while you are using the Chrome browser. It could be due to some issues in your connection, and you can fix it within the Chrome browser. Sometimes, you may need to disable or enable the proxy to fix this error. I hope the answers that I listed above have helped you to fix it on your device.