Everyone was excited. It was the workshop day at the university. The workshop was intended to educate the audience about the Linux operating system.
As soon as I heard the word operating system, the basic definition of operating system came to my mind. An operating system is known as:
“A software that is in-charge of handling all the scheduled tasks and functions of a computer.”
Linux operating system is one of the most widely used operating system across the world. In the university, it is compulsory for the students to study Linux operating system in the “Operating systems” course. The topic of the workshop was “Linux Mint Cinnamon VS Mate”. Let’s get into the detail of Linux Operating system first.
Linux Operating System
The Linux operating system is an open source operating system. It is free of cost. Anyone can use it as it is available to the public. It can be modified according to requirements. As it is publicly available, anyone can contribute to the Linux community by using this operating system.
The Android mobile operating system is also based on the Linux operating system. It is a secure operating system. Every program in Linux is authorized by administrator, therefore Linux provides optimum security for its programs.
Due to the customization options provided by Linux, it is used in personal computers, servers, cloud, and super computers. Linux comprises of a vast community of skilled developers. It provides 24/7 support to its users with the help of a skilled team of experts. Let’s get into the details of the workshop and explore the Linux Mint Cinnamon and Mate desktop environments.
Linux Mint Cinnamon Vs Mate:
Linux Mint Cinnamon and Linux Mate are known as the desktop environments of Linux Operating System. These both versions are Ubuntu based. These versions of Linux operating system are suitable for beginners as well as experienced system administrators.. The detail of these desktop environments is as follows:
Linux Mint Cinnamon:
- It is an original version of Linux Mint. It is open source and free of cost version for X window system.
- Linux Mint Cinnamon is the derivation of genome3. (Genome is desktop environment for Linux based systems).
- Linux Mint Cinnamon consist of Nemo file manager. This File Manager is very lightweight, and it manages the different task regarding file management. This file manager is the derivation of “Nautilus” File Manager.
- The process of searching the file in Linux Mint cinnamon is improved greatly. It uses “Nimo” search. The searching operation is asynchronous.
- The terminal emulator in Linux Mint Cinnamon is the Genome Terminal.
- The Image Viewer for Linux Mint Cinnamon is by default the Xviewer. This software is based on the concepts of Genome.
- All the versions of Linux Mint support the Xed text editor.
- Linux Mint Cinnamon uses the Time Shift option. This option is highly useful. With the help of this option, you can go back in time and using the latest functional system snapshot, the computer can be restored back to the original settings. Due to this feature, the maintenance of the computer system becomes very easy.
- The update manager of the Linux Mint Cinnamon depends on the Time Shift configurations. A stable system is guaranteed when suggestions are present for applying different available updates.
- Different types of symbolic icons are present in Linux Cinnamon. It provides a better look and feel. The support of symbolic icons is also available in the dark theme of Linux Cinnamon.
- Linux Mint Cinnamon provides a perfect balance of the functionality and graphical user interface to the users.
- It is a desktop environment which is the derivation of Genome Standard.
- The file manager for Linux Mint Mate is known as “Caja”. It consists of many advance options for file management. It is based on the Nautilus file manager.
- The default emulator for Linux Mate is called the “Mate Terminal”. You can use this terminal for accessing the “Unix Shell” in the Mate Environment. It supports using multiple terminals in a single window. The Mate terminal support the management of different configurations simultaneously.
- The default Image viewer for mate is known as “Xviewer”. It is a derivation of Genome.
- It is a captivating desktop environment that uses the traditional concepts of Linux operating system.
- The default text editor for Linux Mint Mate is “Pluma”. Pluma is an application that supports editing of texts. Pluma uses UTF-8 encoding in the edited files.
- The graphics viewer for Mate is known as “Eye of Mate”. The library for using “Eye of Mate” is “gdk-pixbuf”. This graphics viewer is based on Genome and it uses the memory and system resources efficiently while viewing graphics and images.
- The default document viewer in Linux Cinnamon Mate is “Atril”. It can display PDF, PF and EPS files. This document viewer also searches for text and supports hypertext navigation.
- The archive manager for Mate is “Engrampa”. It provides all the functionality regarding the management of archives. It supports the extraction of archived files, viewing the contents of archived files and creating and modifying archives.
- Linux Mate requires less hardware resources.
- Linux Mate consists of simple utilities.
Linux Mint Cinnamon and Mate are the desktop environments for Linux Distributions. Linux Mint Cinnamon is the derivation of Gnome standards.
Mate is customizable desktop environment with simple menus and home screen. Mint Cinnamon offers theme administrations whereas in Mate, the items are fragmented, and design templates are available.
The Linux Mint Cinnamon requires more resources of the hardware whereas the Mate version requires less hardware resources and it is faster in speed than Cinnamon.
For Mint Cinnamon, the customizations can be done by using the window manager. For Mate, you can do the customizations by using the different constraints that can be customized easily.
Linux Mint Cinnamon uses “Genome Terminal” while Mate uses “Mate Terminal”. Mate uses “Pluma” text editor while Linux mint Cinnamon uses “Xed” text editor.
By using the Mint Cinnamon version of Linux, you will get the modern design that will not need a lot of changes regarding the desktop environment. Mate is a robust kind of desktop environment where the user will polish the desktop environment himself as it is highly customizable.